Every entrepreneur comes to a point in their journey when they realize they simply can’t do it all on their own.
The question is… how do you know when that time has arrived? When is it worth spending money to hire help? Can waiting too long actually hold back business growth?
Along with the decision to hire comes a whole slew of new challenges. Choosing the right person, knowing exactly what the job should include, how much to pay, learning to manage another team member, and the dreaded thought of having to fire someone.
If these are questions you’re thinking about, we hope you’ll join us for today’s discussion as Ryan and I talk about when we first realized we needed to hire help, mistakes we’ve made along the way, our lessons learned, and why we think bringing on more team members is one of the greatest ways that you can leverage the work you’re doing and effectively grow your business.
If you’ve already begun the process of working with a team, we hope you’ll be encouraged to hear our own journey in this area, and that you’ll share some of your experiences and wisdom in the comments!
In this episode you’ll hear:
- How to figure out if hiring help is really worth it from a financial standpoint.
- How to decide which tasks you need to be doing yourself, and what you can hand off.
- Why you probably aren’t as irreplaceable as you think, and how we figured out that lesson while traveling the world.
- Ways to determine the right person to hire, and why Ryan has potential new hires take a personality test.
- How to conduct an interview and be sure that you are comparing apples to apples when it comes to candidates.
- Why how much you like someone isn’t the best criteria for hiring them.
- That it’s actually NOT mean to fire someone, and how to do it in a way that protects their dignity.
- Why you should avoid the $5 T-shirt! In other words, hiring the cheapest person is not usually the best decision.
- That it’s really valuable to write out a thorough, concise job description, even if you are a very small business.
- That hiring help is the only way that you can actually make more time than 24 hours in a day.
Resources from this podcast:
Eternity Time Log — the app Ryan used to track his time and help determine what tasks he could hire out.
Strengths Finder — a way to determine your personal strengths and the strengths of your team members, which we find helpful in the hiring process
The right way to hire the right people — a podcast from Michael Hyatt
As well as our ever-growing page of resources.
“The bootstrap mentality is exactly what you need to get started but at some point it actually starts to hurt you …. We all hear that you only have 24 hours (in a day), but that’s not true. They way that you get more hours is by hiring more hours.” ~ Ryan Langford
Go ahead and listen by clicking on the play button right here at the top of the post.
Or, listen directly through iTunes or Stitcher!
Thanks for joining us for today’s podcast!
What has been your experience with hiring and firing people? Do you have stories to share?
Top image credit: David Joyce