Podcast #2 : Our entrepreneurial story – with Ryan and Stephanie Langford
Curious to know how we got going with our businesses? Why we took the leap to leave a steady paycheck behind and how we’ve gotten to a place of supporting ourselves through our entrepreneurial pursuits?
Ryan and I share candidly about our own journey — from transitioning out of the stability of a corporate job (and the fear that held us back), to our first small successes as entrepreneurs, and how little by little, we built up four businesses (debt-free) to get to the place where we fully support ourselves today. It’s been a hard, exhausting process at many points, with our fair share of failures and setbacks, but we wouldn’t trade it for anything.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- A little more about our family, where we’re from and which spouse likes to embellish the details of a story for entertainment purposes. 🙂
- The very humble beginnings of our entrepreneurial journey.
- How Ryan trained himself to run his own business by working for someone else.
- What made Stephanie fearful and hesitant to support Ryan in taking the leap to begin his first business (and how she got over it)
- The first time we made “real” money on the web.
- Our “amazing” business ideas that never made it off the ground (nope, you’re not the only one).
- Using the resources we did have (more time than money, a teeny tiny home office, our own hospitality, lots of enthusiasm) to launch a low-capital, no-debt start-up that is running strong to date.
- Why we sold a successful, profitable website when we even though we needed the money, and why we have no regrets about it.
- Our most recent project, Ultimate Bundles — how it got started, how it’s grown, and where we’re taking it next.
Where to find us:
EntreFamily – The super cool website you’re on right now.
Keeper of the Home – Stephanie’s original blog, on naturally-inspired living for homemakers.
Resound School of Music – The local music school (in a suburb of Vancouver, Canada) that Ryan still oversees.
Ultimate Bundles – Our digital product distribution company, where we bring authors together in special niche sale events that run for 6 days only. It has grown tremendously, to bringing in over 2 million in revenue in 2 years (we run this together with a large team, particularly with Erin and Will Odom of The Humbled Homemaker who partner with us on certain bundles).
Resources we recommend:
This is our ever-growing page of resources, that we’ll keep adding to as we go.
“Everyone has a humble beginning.” Ryan Langford
Go ahead and listen by clicking on the play button right here at the top of the post.
Or, listen directly through iTunes!
Thanks for joining us for today’s podcast!
Would you tell us YOUR entrepreneurial story (or the dreams you’re working towards) in the comments? We really want to get to know you and the projects you’re working on!
Join our EntreTribe
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.