Podcast #8: What you need to know about working and traveling (with kids)
It was a bit longer than usual in coming, but the newest podcast is up and ready!
In this episode, Ryan and I talk together about what it looks like to work while we travel. People frequently misunderstand our trips to be “vacation”, but that’s really not accurate – rather, learning to run our businesses from the road helps us to overcome the barrier of having to save up or wait to take a vacation.
Instead, we are blessed with the opportunity to do regular, daily life (cooking and cleaning, homeschooling and raising our kids, working, etc.) from all sorts of amazing locations.
We get the best of both worlds. A unique, fascinating cultural experience that grows and benefits both us and our kids, while keeping up with the work we love to do (and that keeps food on the table).
But working from abroad, while you’re moving around, in developing countries, and especially when you have young children, can be a genuine challenge at times. We get real about the things that are hard, mistakes we’ve made, lessons we’ve learned, and our best tips for other families who want to give it a go.
Thanks for joining us! It’s a bit of a longer listen than usual (either we had a lot to say on this topic, or we really missed you all since we skipped an episode…), but we hope you enjoy it anyways. And the top photo on this post? Taken from our current rental home here in Cadenet, France. We love it here. Swoon.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Why traveling with our children is so important to us — especially as homeschooling parents.
- The big differences between working while traveling and a vacation.
- Why errands in a new country can take 4 hours.
- How we’ve divided our time into blocks so we can both get in focused work time, while still being there for our kids and making time for adventures together.
- All about Ryan’s “working at home uniform.” (Hint: It involves noise-cancelling headphones and a hoodie.)
- The HUGE importance of good internet, and how to ensure you really have it while traveling.
- Why we spent so much time during our one-year trip at a McDonald’s in Spain, eating bad salads.
- The value of planning your trip around your work projects.
- How traveling with kids is not just enjoyable (usually!), but how in many countries it can open doors and help locals to see you as real people, rather than just tourists.
- What we’ve learned about website security (aka, don’t get hacked like we did), and the tools we use now to keep our businesses safe.
- The importance of building a good team before you leave home — and empowering them to do their jobs without micromanaging.
- That travel while working isn’t just for web-based entrepreneurs.
Resources from this podcast:
Know Roaming — A sticker we’ve used that goes over your SIM card and helps you get great usage rates around the world.
Europcar — We were able to rent a mobile modem through Europcar that we could use in the car, in hotel rooms, coffee shops and restaurants. It gave us great, high speed Internet very affordably.
The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferriss
The IP Cloaker that Ryan mentions.
As well as our ever-growing page of resources.
“We live in an unprecedented time and these opportunities for us to work and travel are amazing. I feel very blessed that we can do this.” Stephanie Langford
Go ahead and listen by clicking on the play button right here at the top of the post.
Or, listen directly through iTunes or Stitcher!
Thanks for joining us for today’s podcast!
What questions can we answer for you about working and traveling with children?
Join our EntreTribe
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.