Family World Travel for Less: Four Ways Packing Light Can Save You Money
Perhaps most importantly for the purpose of this series, it’s time to talk about why packing light makes it onto my list of 31 ways to travel the world as a family for less.
Since I’ve actually been wanting to create a video series about trip packing for a number of months, I used this topic as my impetus to go ahead and begin, so today’s post is actually a video.
*Psst… you can’t click on this image – watch the video HERE.*
When we travel, we have a family packing rule that serves us well. In my video, I’ll tell you all about:
- the ONE thing we always do when it comes to packing
- the reasoning behind our packing strategy
- four ways packing light can save you money
- a little show-and-tell of the specific bags we use for each family member (fun! I love talking travel gear.)
In order to keep this packing video series all together in one place, I’m hosting them all on a single page, starting with this first one.
And just for fun, here’s a little inside look at what happens we’re in the process of packing and preparing for a big trip:
Somehow, all this chaos translates into neat, compact and mostly orderly backpacks (that then get trashed by our kids approximately once a week, but that’s besides the point).
But in the end, this is what we actually travelled with, for six people, for one entire year:
(These are our backpacks plus that one black suitcase you see got added on for souvenirs a couple months before we went home… and it was a pain, to be honest, though it was nice to bring a few things home in the end. I’m still a little torn whether it was worth disrupting our usual backpack-carrying rhythm for or not.)
Does your family have a similar packing rule? (If you’re not sure, then I guess you’ll have to watch the video… :).
This post is part of the series Family World Travel for Less:
- Day 1 – Intro
- Day 2 – Long Haul Flights
- Day 3 – Flights for Families, Part 1
- Day 4 – Flights for Families, Part 2
- Day 5 – Why We Don’t Use Round-the-World Tickets
- Day 6 – 45 Totally Inexpensive or Even Free Things to Do While Traveling the World
- Day 7 – Four Ways Packing Light Can Save You Money
Join our EntreTribe
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.